Since we set up our language service a few years ago, we have worked with a varied and interesting group of clients and, in doing so, we have taken on a wide range of projects beyond the translation work we initially set out to do. In this, and future posts, we'll try and offer a glimpse into what we have been doing and show you a few examples of our work which have been published or can be made public.
Classes - we offer English, Spanish and Catalan classes and have worked with young children, teenagers, people preparing for exams, professional workers brushing up their relevant language needs, and for international companies - providing intensive language courses for their workers.
Story-telling - we offer English story-telling sessions for young Catalan children. We have worked with various libraries (Tortosa, L'Hospitalet, Vandellòs), primary schools, parents' associations, and local summer camps.
Sílvia telling A Christmas Tale at Vandellòs library.
Another story session, this time at the La Vida Tortosina summer camp.
The Gruffalo, at Tortosa public library within the 2nd Annual Tortosa English Festival.
And here's a video of The Pot of Gold story session in the 1st Annual Tortosa English Festival.
Translations, language checks and proofreading - we have translated, or checked the language for the following (we include some links to work which is in the public domain):
- We translated Lluís Raluy's book "The Secret of Mirages" into English. Links here in Catalan and English.
- We also translated Lluís' book on his life in the circus, The Circus of the Saltimbanchi, into English. Hopefully this will be published in 2015.
- We have recently translated a children's book, The Smug Snail, into English. This will be published in 2015.
- Machinery manuals for international companies
- Private documents, letters and CVs for individual clients
- Helping English teachers translate and prepare classroom materials
- Wine descriptions and tasting notes for a local wine cooperative, Sant Josep Vins
- Product information for a local micro-brewery, Lo Gambusi
- Travel itineries for a travel agency, HIFE
- Information sheets for guest houses and other tourist accomodation
- Helping a student to improve her English for her university work
- Leaflets and programmes for the Felip Pedrell International Music Festival in Tortosa
- Subtitles for a short film (unreleased as yet)
- Sections of the webpage and other documents for the international meteorological and astronomic observatory, the Ebro Observatory
- Sections of the web page for Hotel Tortosa Parc
- Sections of the webpage for Lo Pati Art Centre
- Sections of the Delta Ebre Port webpage
- Translating, language checks and proofreading for Spanish economists publishing in international journals
- Translated leaflets and information for TDAH conference in Tortosa 2011
- Sections of the webpage for Joan Castellà organic vegetable production and delivery service
- Translated, transcribed or proofread various sections, documents and videos for the Catalonia Votes webpage run by the Catalan government's diplomacy service, Diplocat
- We also translated the original Spanish version of this publicity video for Rhino Resort Hotel into English for this ad:
- In 2013 we worked with Catalan singer-songwriter Albino Tena on improving his English, language and intonation, for his recording of this song:
- And finally - for now - we translated and adapted the original Catalan text into English for the subtitles of this promo video of Tortosa: